TIC End of Year 2017 GM’s Message
Dear Friends of Temasek International College (TIC),
2017 can be summarized in a few words: “In the face of a fast evolving higher education landscape in Myanmar, TIC has made significant progress.” I thank each TIC stakeholder for your continued commitment and all that you do to deliver on our mission – To develop Global-minded Professionals for Myanmar’s Nation Building.
While there is much work to do and there will be further milestones ahead, TIC is ending 2017 stronger and better able to serve Myanmar. TIC has continued throughout the year, strengthing our value propositions, building up track record and managing growth in a hyper competitive landscape.
In particular, TIC would like to thank H.E U Naing Win, Director of Ministry of Hotels and Tourism for his encouragement and endorsement of TIC. Below is an abstract of what he said in his keynote speech, during TIC graduation ceremony on 16th December 2017:
“The human resources developed by TIC play an important role in Myanmar’s hotels and tourism industry. The knowledge, skills and hands-on experiences taught by TIC are very valuable and important for H&T management roles. TIC graduates can now apply these knowledge in their H&T careers. The Ministry of Hotels and Tourism is striving to develop our hotels and tourism industry. To achieve this, innovation and cooperation with private sector partners are needed. For instance, the ministry is now focused on developing Tanintharyi Division. Therefore it is necessary that human resource development, tourism and hotels businesses expansion should be improved concurrently. As the Director of Ministry of Hotels and Tourism, it is my great pleasure to work together with private sector partners, such as TIC and we are ready to offer helping hands wherever necessary. This is a very auspicious day for TIC, students and parents for producing high calibre professionals for Myanmar’s hotels and tourism sector. Well done!”
Through our monthly E-newsletters “TIC Heartbeat” you might also have read details about TIC active contributions and several projects in Myanmar’s human capital development landscape . This is a key area of focus that TIC will continue to focus on in 2018. More importantly, such projects will contribute immensely towards the development of human capital in Myanmar.
Now a brief recap of 10 key TIC moments in 2017:
1) TIC/ SEG (Shenton Education Group)’s New Advisory Board was formed. New board members include Mr. Er Kwong Wah[Independent Director of Several Listed Boards & Ex-Permanent Secretary, Singapore Ministry of Education], Professor S Gopinathan [Adjunct Professor Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy & Ex-Dean, Singapore NIE] , Dr. N Varaprasad[Adjunct Professor National University of Singapore & Ex-CEO Singapore National Library Board] & Mr. Yee Jenn Jong [CEO The Learning Grid & Ex-Member of the 12th Singapore Parliament] (9th January)
2) Industrial Seminar on Travel & Tour Operations in Myanmar; organized at Melia Yangon. Keynote speeches by U Harry Hpone Thant [Senior Advisor of Myanmar Tourism Federation and Union of Myanmar Travel Association] & U Ohn Kyaw [Visiting Senior Lecturer at of Hotel &Tourism Training Center] (11thFebruary)
3) TIC/ SEG’s Strategic Discussions with Dr. Aye Myint [Director General of Ministry of Education, Myanmar] (16th March)
4) TIC-HELP University MBA Convocation organized at Shangri-La Hotel, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (23rd April)
6) International Conference on Business Management, Hospitality & Tourism Higher Education and Youth Development in Myanmar; organized at Sule-Shangri-la Hotel, Yangon. Keynote speech by Ms. Ma Ma Naing [Director of Human Resources, Sule Shangri-la] (17thJune 2017)
7) Higher Education & Industrial Seminar on Hospitality & Tourism Management in Myanmar 2017; organized at Novotel Max Hotel, Yangon. Keynote speech by Mr. Thet Ko Ko Tin [General Manager of The HUB Hotel] (24th August 2017)
8 ) 2 Weeks Study Trip in Singapore for TIC students, jointly organized by TIC and SDH Institute, Singapore (September 2017)
9) TIC is honoured to sponsor a 2-week CSR Human Capital Development training project with Faculty Members & Staff of Technological University Hmawbi (November 2017)
10) TIC Graduation Ceremony held at Park Royal Yangon. Keynote speech by H.E U Naing WinDirector, Ministry of Hotels & Tourism (16thDecember 2017)
So, as I come to the end of a longer message than I originally intended to write, I extend my grateful thanks to the entire Team TIC and all stakeholders for the way you continue to support TIC vision and mission.
I also wish you all a purposeful 2018, wherever you may be, and I look forward to many more years ahead.
With very best wishes.
Temasek International College
29th December 2017